Today I learned that there is such a thing as partial PTSD. Well holy shit if I didn't almost fall off my chair. It was such a revelation to me...and explains a whole freaking lot of shit I have been dealing with. I did a bit of research (reputable websites only of course) and learned that one can have partial PTSD if they have a number of symptoms from certain groups of symptoms that are used to diagnose PTSD. Now, all this being said, I only have a hunch that my mental health issues I have been dealing with (i.e. suicidal ideation, depression, anxiety, feelings of being isolated, etc.) all tick boxes. However, I still need to talk to someone about it all. I know people, people better than I, who are dealing with PTSD and I have never thought that I had anything in common with them. Does a diagnosis of "partial" make the syndrome "less than" a full diagnosis? Does it even matter? Since I have been dealing with all this since my mid-teens, and seeking help and therapy for each issue as it comes up, I have actually been coping and growing. But, if I get an official diagnosis, would that mean that I can get focused therapy/treatment and deal with issues more effectively? Interesting concept at the very least.
Life is a constant of change and evolution. I am a first responder who has a passion for mental health support and advocacy. I am a fur-mom to my dog and 3 fur-angels. Loving wife to a military husband and a fierce friend, I believe family is who you choose and what you make of it. Live with courage, compassion and be the best version of you possible. Hope you'll be able to glean a little of "whatever" it is that you need. "Soft front, strong back & wild heart"
Thursday, 5 March 2015
Partial PTSD...It's a Thing
Labels:
mental health,
partial ptsd,
ptsd,
revelation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment