Pages

Sunday, 17 May 2015

Disappearing…

“What if I was to disappear, get in an accident and not make it, fall off the face of the earth? I wouldn’t be disappointed, I wouldn’t care.”


Those were the thoughts I had. It’s not that I want to hurt myself; I just want to “go away”. If I go, then the pain would be gone…at least that is the emotional thought. The rational thought is that the pain just comes with me. I know this, I know running away doesn’t work, but I feel like there would be less pain if I could just stop being. Imagine a life without the pain of not having children, of not being constantly reminded of what I am missing, of the fact that I could very well have no one to be with me or care for me in my golden years. Imagine a life without missing those you love, the ones who have left too soon, walked out, or just disappeared themselves. Imagine a life without dealing with all the misery and tragedy in peoples’ lives, hearing the sounds of struggle, the cries of pain. Imagine a life without all the responsibility, of being the strong one, of not being able to ask for help when I need it. I long for the day when the emotional rollercoaster levels out, and life becomes easier, more stable, less…hard.


But…imagine a life without the pain to remind you of when times are good, a life without tears of sadness to make you grateful for the moments of joy. Imagine a life where you are constantly grateful for the people you do have in your life, because you know what it’s like not to have the ones who aren’t.


On the days when it is all too much, maybe I can just disappear…for a little bit. Take some time to escape and get away from all that weighs heavy on my mind and heart. I may not be able to take the time when I need it, but I will do it when I can. On the days I can’t get away, I must muster all my strength, swallow my pride, and trust enough to be able to pick up the phone to reach out and ask for help. To find the person who will just listen, who will hold my hand when I cry, who will remind me that I don’t need to disappear; they see me, in all my weakness and pain and they care…in that moment I am visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment